TRAI serious on SMS spam – imposes limit of 100 SMS per day per SIM
Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) is serious on SMS spamming and hence passes regulation to further address the issue. The Sixth Amendment to related regulation will be implemented from 27th Sep’11 and its mainly focus on controlling spam text messaging activities of tele-marketers. The regulation imposes a limit of 100 SMS per day per SIM with a further limit of 3000 SMS per month for post paid customer. TRAI has also tried to make you sleep peacefully during night by imposing a time band from 9hrs to 21hrs as period of commercial SMS communication by service providers. The salient points included in regulation is given below.
The TRAI amendment says:
- Every Access Provider shall withdraw before the 26th September, 2011 all telecom resources allocated to a telemarketer except those telecom resources which have been allocated in accordance with the provisions of the regulations.
- every Access Provider shall ensure that any commercial communication including SMS, other than transactional messages, is sent to a customer only between 0900 Hrs to 2100 Hrs
- no Access Provider shall permit sending of more than one hundred SMS per day per SIM. Provided that in case of post paid telephone number the Access Provider shall not permit more than three thousand SMS per SIM per month. Provided further that in case of post paid telephone number, the Access Provider shall not permit sending of more than one hundred SMS per day per SIM from a date to be notified by the Authority.
- Read full details.
Latest posts by Zainul Ibad (see all)
- TRAI initiates process to define rules for network testing before commercial launch - May 2, 2017
- Wireless Subscriber Base increases by 13.75 mn in Feb’17 - April 29, 2017
- License fee dips by 9.62% in Qtr ending Dec’16 - April 11, 2017
- Telecom Operators’ Adjusted Gross Revenue(AGR) decline in Q3 - March 3, 2017
- MobiKwik to offer 15% cashback to Connect Broadband customers - February 20, 2017