Indian Railways offers ticket booking through SMS and USSD dialing (Airtel Money)
Indian Railways added yet another channel for passengers to book the rail tickets. Railway now offers rail ticket booking through Mobile phone by sending just a SMS or through USSD dialing. The ticket booking through SMS is launched in association with three vendors – Bharat BPO, Frequency Weekly and Pyro Group. Whereas USSD Menue-based Dialing mode is presently available on Airtel Money for airtel customers.
Rail Ticket Booking though SMS
Option 1 : Book by sending SMS at 5676714. The comma separated SMS format is as below.
“BOOK FromStationCode, ToStationCode, DDMMYY, TrainNo, Class, PassengerName1, Age1,M/F, PassengerName2, Age2,M/F, PassengerName3, Age3,M/F”
Example: For Booking a ticket from Mumbai Central (BCT) to New Delhi (NDLS) in 3A Class of Rajdhani Express (12951) on 10 July 2013 for two passengers, the SMS format will be as below.
BOOK BCT, NDLS, 10072013, 12951, 3A, Ramesh Kumar, 35, M, Kirti Rai, 42, F
M/s Frequency Weekly has prepared nice video on how to book rail ticket though SMS which you can see below.
Option 2 : Book by sending SMS at 139 (M/s Bhart BPO) – Click for more details
Option 3 : Install JAVA based BSNL Prepaid Card Application (works only on Java based phones)
This booking channel is provided by M/s Pyro – click here for more information and screenshoots.
How to make payment
For SMS booking option the payment can be made using following modes.
- Using Mobile Money Identifier MMID* and one-time password (OTP) as received from Bank for registered Mobile Number.
- Using PrePaid Wallet Cards or mWallets.
* MMID generation is a single click process available with more than 26 Indian Banks covering over 90% of the total banking subscriber base. The banks for the same are listed at http://www.npci.org.in/bankmember.aspx
* “OTP” is a One Time Password generated and provided by your respective bank.
Rail Ticket Booking through USSD (Menu-based dialing) – Airtel Money
As said earlier, the USSD Services are currently offered thorugh Airtel Money where Airtel subscribers may Dial *400# on their mobiles to get the menu-based screen and follow the instructions. The user will be asked his IRCTC ID. The detailed procedure is available here.
Latest posts by Shubham Pandey (see all)
- Reliance Communications hikes prepaid mobile tariffs by up to 20% - April 16, 2014
- MTNL offers Rs 200 discount on new bookings to customers casting vote. - April 16, 2014
- Airtel brings special night offers with ‘Night Store’. - April 16, 2014