Exclusive: MTNL slashes 3G tariffs, offers 2 GB 3G data for Rs 299.
State telecom PSU MTNL is all set to slash its 3G tariffs to make them competitive against Reliance’s aggressive 3G pricing. MTNL Mumbai has launched a new 3G plan of Rs 299 for prepaid and postpaid customers which is going to offer 2 GB of 3G data with 30 days validity. Earlier MTNL Mumbai customers would get 2.2 GB in Rs 450 3G pack but now they can get almost same data usage in just Rs 299. MTNL has also launched a new yearly prepaid 3G data pack of Rs 1250 which will provide 900 MB data per month for a period of twelve months. Both these 3G Prepaid plans will be available from 20th Sep’13 but postpaid plan 3G 299 will be introduced from 1st Oct’13. These promotional plans available only for a period of one month. The prepaid data packs will be available via E-recharge and web recharge only. The data charge after free usage is 2p/10KB.
Unlike BSNL, which has done away with separate 3G and 2G pricing and gone for unified data pricing making its data tariffs quite attractive, MTNL is responding quite conservatively in making 3G tariffs competitive in mobile space where it is losing its share constantly. MTNL seems to be testing waters with the new 3G data pack just like other big operators which have substantial 3G base and slashing tariffs might affect their revenues. But this new pack from MTNL falls short in responding to Reliance’s 3G data pack of 1GB priced at just Rs 123 as it still cheaper and has lower entry price point to attract young consumers like students which are driving force in data segment.
Latest posts by Shubham Pandey (see all)
- MTNL offers free 50 MB 3G data & discount on Sakhi Prepaid Plan during elections. - April 23, 2014
- TRAI to fix minimum download speed for wireless data services. - April 22, 2014
- Vodafone launches managed video conferencing service for enterprises. - April 21, 2014
- Reliance Communications hikes prepaid mobile tariffs by up to 20% - April 16, 2014
- MTNL offers Rs 200 discount on new bookings to customers casting vote. - April 16, 2014