Videocon Telecom to launch 4G services in UP(E) , UP(W) and Bihar
Videocon Telecom has announced that it will roll out 4G services based on LTE FDD technology in 29 cities across UP-East, UP-West and Bihar circles. Videocon Telecom holds 5 Mhz spectrum in 1800 Mhz band and plans to focus on data services to gain market share. According to the company it will be the first telco to offer 4G LTT FDD services on 1800 Mhz in the country with digital voice. It has plans to invest over Rs 1200 Cr in next 3 years for 4G rollout in 29 cities across these 3 circles. It will be rolling out 6 cities in phase 1, 12 cities in phase 2 and another 11 cities on phase 3 covering the key potential cities across these circles. Videocom Telecom has employed Deloitte as their consulting partner and Huawei & NSN as their technology partner, who are also telco’s partners in their existing operations. It is planning to offer 4G data at 2G/3G rates to encourage early adoption, and will be offering bundled devices as well.
Speaking about the announcement, Arvind Bali, Director & CEO, Videocon Telecom said, “Mobile telephony is now over 20 years old now in the country, with still predominantly Voice play. Having lost the momentum that we built in 2010, we re-entered the industry just 2 years back. The voice market is already skimmed, with the incumbents in a dominating position having acquired a sizeable base of stable, loyal and high usage subscribers. Given the market dynamics, it doesn’t make sense for a new Telco to compete in the voice domain with ever shrinking margins & high cost.
Latest posts by Zainul Ibad (see all)
- License fee dips by 9.62% in Qtr ending Dec’16 - April 11, 2017
- Telecom Operators’ Adjusted Gross Revenue(AGR) decline in Q3 - March 3, 2017
- MobiKwik to offer 15% cashback to Connect Broadband customers - February 20, 2017
- TRAI floats consultation paper to discuss transparency, promotional offers & predatory pricing - February 18, 2017
- DoT allows Quadrant Televentures to shut its mobile operations from April - February 17, 2017