Airtel becomes the third largest operator in the world
Bharti Airtel , the market leader in Indian telecom space, has achieved the milestone of having the third highest subscriber base in the world according to the latest data released by World Cellular Information Service (WCIS) . Bharti Airtel has 303 .10 mn customers across 20 countries after China Mobile’s 626.37 mn and Vodafone Group’s 403.08 mn . Airtel’s mobile networks cover over 1.85 billion people across its operations in 20 countries and carried over 1.23 trillion minutes of calls and over 333 petabytes of data in FY 2014-15. In India Airtel covers 86.8% of the country’s population with subscriber base of 229.44mn as on May’15 and boasts of having the largest rural mobile customer base with over 100 million mobile customers.
|Ranking||Operator||Wireless Mobile Connections
In Africa it is the largest mobile operator in the continent in terms of geographical footprint. It offers 2G, 3G services and Airtel Money across all 17 countries in Africa. In Bangladesh, Bharti Airtel is the fastest growing mobile operator, with a distribution network comprising over 146K retailers across the country. The company offers a wide range of 2G and 3G services in Bangladesh, including voice, value added services, entertainment, m-commerce and m-health.
In Sri Lanka, Bharti Airtel offers a range of mobile services which includes voice, data and enterprise solutions on its state-of-the-art 2G and 3G HSPA+ network. Airtel’s 3G presence across over 70% of its network is amongst the highest 3G ratio available across the subcontinent.
Latest posts by Zainul Ibad (see all)
- License fee dips by 9.62% in Qtr ending Dec’16 - April 11, 2017
- Telecom Operators’ Adjusted Gross Revenue(AGR) decline in Q3 - March 3, 2017
- MobiKwik to offer 15% cashback to Connect Broadband customers - February 20, 2017
- TRAI floats consultation paper to discuss transparency, promotional offers & predatory pricing - February 18, 2017
- DoT allows Quadrant Televentures to shut its mobile operations from April - February 17, 2017