DoT allows Quadrant Televentures to shut its mobile operations from April
Department of Telecommunication has allowed Quadrant Televentures Ltd to shut its gsm mobile operations in Punjab from mid-April 2017. DoT has informed that its gsm mobile operations can be closed after intimation of sixty days to DoT which is sixty days after 16th Feb’17. Subsequently TRAI has allowed its customers to migrate before 18th April,17 which is the last date of validity for using Unique Porting Code (UPC) for migrating to other operator without changing the number. TRAI has waived the condition of 90 days lock in period for switching under MNP for customers of Quadrant .
Earlier Quadrant Televentures Ltd informed DoT on 16th Dec’16 its intention to closed its gsm operations from 15th Feb’17. But TRAI due to lack of communication from DoT on this matter directed Quadrant to continue its gsm services as per license conditions. Finally DoT on 15th Feb clarified that they can close operations only after 60 days intimation to DOT. TRAI has asked the operator to publicize the information of extension of UPC validity through print media and its website to facilitate its customers in switching to other operator using MNP. As per latest data released by TRAI , Quadrant had 2.9 mn mobile customer as on Dec’16 and it reported net additions of 89963. Changing landscape of technology, high cost of spectrum and intensive competition in the sector is compelling smaller operators to find ways to make an exit .
Latest posts by Zainul Ibad (see all)
- License fee dips by 9.62% in Qtr ending Dec’16 - April 11, 2017
- Telecom Operators’ Adjusted Gross Revenue(AGR) decline in Q3 - March 3, 2017
- MobiKwik to offer 15% cashback to Connect Broadband customers - February 20, 2017
- TRAI floats consultation paper to discuss transparency, promotional offers & predatory pricing - February 18, 2017
- DoT allows Quadrant Televentures to shut its mobile operations from April - February 17, 2017